Vision and mission
This vision forces us every day to build a world that is more equitable and more sustainable. To achieve this, Iles de Paix takes on an overall mission to conduct research and experiment with alternative models of development.
The choice of models to promote is based on:
- putting people at the center;
- balanced equity and respect for others (their family, community, gender) and for nature;
- quality of life for all.
These models must also respect certain conditions:
- respect for the environment, reduction in poverty and/or inequities;
- increase in the resilience of populations, promotion of basic rights, etc. ;
- be expandable and reproducible;
- be situated where the impact is real and measurable.
To remain realistic and concrete, Iles de Paix focuses on a specific mission: the promotion of sustainable food systems.
This mission addresses major issues at the local level (for rural families supported by Iles de Paix in Africa and Latin America) and at the global level (food security and resilience against climate change). On this score, the right to food for everyone remains at the core.
Iles de Paix works with citizens to promote respect for the rights of farmers by means of the transition to agro-ecology.
Our tools to make this new planet more equitable vary from each local context and people’s aspirations:
- Crop diversification for food security and sovereignty
- Encouragement of successful local practices
- Knowledge exchange among farmers, consumers, …
- Close monitoring to learn about our practices and those of others
- Training of farmers to make them more autonomous regarding local seeds, productions biopesticides, …
- Information on human rights
- Conferences on local and global issues, in Belgium and abroad
- Citizen mobilisation
- Writting of position papers